Thursday, September 22, 2011

How do you find peace?

I don't know why but I thought of her today so I am writing about it. I mentioned before that sometimes people enter and leave our lives all too quickly but no matter how long or short that period of time is, there is always some significance.

I also met her in Montreal when I was 22. She from Toronto and me from Vancouver. We had met through a mutual friend in the language program and again, the connection was instant and the friendship didn't take long to develop. At the time, I was in a serious relationship with another significant person who had planned to join me in Montreal at the end of my trip. His itinerary included a stop in Toronto just prior. I was young and in love while my new friend was home sick (yes only a 4hr drive away) despite having moved pretty much her entire bedroom into our tiny dorm rooms. Impulsively we both bought some pricey train tickets and headed to Toronto for a weekend. Her parents picked us up at the station and took me to dinner. Then gave me a place to stay overnight. They treated me like I was a long time friend when actually, I had literally met their daughter maybe two days ago.

To this day, I always think about her generosity, their generosity, and how hard it must be to now live without a daughter who had left too soon. I remember hearing the news like it was yesterday. I found out the night I had returned from a trip to Hong Kong. Now two years later, I still think about her and I cry.

No comments:

Post a Comment