Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Is that a Vietnamese sub?

I've always enjoyed traveling and exploring on my own.  When I did it in my younger years, it was as if I needed to prove to myself that I was mature enough to be independent.  At 22, after graduating from UBC, I took part in a government-sponsored program where you travel to another part of Canada to learn one of the two official languages.  My journey took me to Montreal where I met one of the most important people to ever enter my life.

I remember carrying my backpack and walking towards the residences at the University of Montreal.  Coming from the opposite direction were two girls and one of them looked at me and said, "Is that a Vietnamese sub?"  I don't actually remember what I was eating but it definitely wasn't a sub because at that point, I've never actually had one.  Ever since then though, upon hearing "Vietnamese sub," I always think about how I met such a beautiful, talented, creative, loving, and kind-hearted soul.

Do you ever think about how you met your friends and why you think they are a part of your life? I never really did until now.  Friendships often fade without reason and it's something I have experienced far too often.  But because I live my life believing that things happen for a reason, I am able to look back and appreciate that contribution and move on from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment