Tuesday, September 27, 2011

How much of the world have you seen?

I thought of this post today when I was walking Jenga in the rain this morning wearing my blue jacket from the time I volunteered during the Winter Olympics.  I was a driver for the Olympic family which included basically anyone who was involved with the next summer and winter Olympics.  It was an incredible experience that allowed me to meet people from all over the world.

I don't care if you were for or against the Games because what I loved most about the experience was that for two weeks, we celebrated more than just talented athletes, we celebrated humanity.  It was emotional for me because it was a break from the everyday.  I had the opportunity to connect with people from a different background, language, culture, history, personality, mentality, yet they were all there for the same reason.

Being a humanitarian at heart, I always feel that if people had the opportunity to connect and understand other people that are so different from themselves, then the world would be a better place.  Why don't people want to experience another culture?  Why do people judge the way someone lives when they were brought up in a completely different society? Why must some people think they are superior to others?

It sounds like it's too simple of a solution to make this world a better place for everyone to live in.  But maybe it really IS that simple.  People often over-complicate things when all they really need to do is take a step back and think.

No comments:

Post a Comment