Monday, September 12, 2011

Who is the most ignorant person you've ever met?

I am going to keep this post within Australia.  So it was the end of my school term at Wollongong and I decided to travel around the country before going back to Vancouver.  I was in Cairns where I stayed in a hostel for the first time.  I walked in the room and thought, what the hell, there's like 8 beds in this room.

Anyhow, I went out to dinner with two people I had met at the hostel.  One guy was probably around my age then from Nairobi and the other was a man from England...I'd say late 50s to early 60s.  I was bored out of my mind.  The younger guy didn't speak much while the old man asked me the most ridiculous questions. He even insulted me by saying that I can't be from Canada because I am Chinese. Then no joke, he asked me something that I'd never forget.  We were having a conversation (and I use this word loosely because I did more eye-rolling than talk) comparing Canada and England.  At one point, he looked at me with a straight face and asked, "Are women allowed to drive in Canada?"

I have never felt like punching anyone in the face, let alone an old man.  But at that point, I really could have.

2 comments:

  1. I think the guy was trying to be funny :D i couldn't stop laughing after reading this lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. absolutely not! he was very old school and narrow minded. he was totally serious!

    ReplyDelete